ΘΑΛ-ΧΩΡ2 (THAL-CHOR2) aims at developing a methodology for MSP and then using this methodology for pilot applications in selected areas in Cyprus (Limassol area) and Greece (Islands of Lesvos and Rhodes). Resolution of spatial conflicts between different uses of the sea, better coordination between stakeholders and strengthening cross-border cooperation were secondary project objectives. The following actions were carried out:
- Stock-taking of human activities at sea and analysis of main features of the marine environment;
- Development of a Web-GIS to display all collected data;
- Overview of the legal framework and recommendations for its improvement;
- Definition of future priorities and analysis of the future state in terms of evolution of existing activities and development of new ones;
- Pilot implementation of MSP in selected areas and drafting of pilot maritime spatial plans;
- Evaluation of the methodology followed for implementing MSP and identification of good practices.